Wednesday, September 5, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year... unless you're a Browns fan

I'm guaranteed three more full days without despair as a Iggles fan, so I may as well use this opportunity to make some predictions about the upcoming NFL season:

NFC
East: Iggles
West: Seahawks
North: Bears
South: Saints
Wild Card #1: Cowboys
Wild Card #2: Panthers

AFC
East: Patriots
West: Chargers
North: Ravens
South: Colts
Wild Card #1: Broncos
Wild Card #2: Bengals

Super Bowl XLII: Iggles over Patriots, 27-23. Screw it. I've got $20 bucks on them at 15-to-1 odds. That'll go towards a next-gen console.

Also, I've bellied up to the proverbial bar: I have an entry in the Sports Guy Pick 'Em Challenge. Infinitely many wanna-be prognosticators are leaping at the opportunity to say they can outpick Bill Simmons himself in NFL games against the spread. I've never picked against the spread, but if his wife can beat him by a game. For those of you who wish to keep score at home, my entry is named 7-Point Underdogs. I'll be revealing my picks here as I make them and I will update my progress over the season, no matter how brutal. For starters:

COLTS (-6.5) over Saints-- This was a tough one. On one hand, the defending Super Bowl champions get to raise a banner at home to open the season; on the other hand, their Pro-Bowl starting left tackle retired. And then there's the defense, which I don't think can stop Brees, Colston, McAllister, and that one dude from USC. But Peyton can audible his way out of danger. I expect Joseph Addai to be picking up blitzes all night, until he covers the spread on a draw play late.

I'll do the rest of the games later in the week.

No comments: